Saturday, March 5, 2011

cigarettes will kill you (aka dem squares gonna get you)


So the other night I had a patient who apparently decided to smoke why he was on his home oxygen. Bad Move! Well while he was getting his smoke on,  the oxygen ignited his cigarette and burned the bejesus out of his nasal passages. The odd thing about this whole situation to me is that we always warn patients that this could happen. However, I have never seen it actually happen to someone. So when I found out that we were getting a new patient and why he was in intensive, I immediately fell out laughing. I mean come on people, your on oxygen because cigarettes have already beat down your lungs, and now your gonna let them finish you off? In a blaze of fire at that. I swear those things are just legal drugs. I remember when i was a kid and my dad used to study with this old guy named Mr. Riley and he used to have Cigars staked up in boxes like 6 boxes high and maybe like ten long. I asked him, 'hey Mr. Riley what are you gonna do with all of those cigars?' He replied in a raspy grumble, 'I'm gonna smoke em all kid, I'm gonna smoke em all.' I came back a month later and took a picture of Mr Riley. It's at the top of this blog post in case your wondering who that was.... OK not really but I'm pretty sure that guy is done.
However on the bright side of things, there are two very positive points about the whole square situation. Numero uno, I am a Respiratory Therapist soooooooo JOB INSURANCE! Number two, this gives me an opportunity to post one of my favorite old videos. Cigarettes will kill you by Ben Lee. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I never cease to be amazed by the stupidity in the world around us! Like you said...job security!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knoooooooooow heather. It's quite sadd.

    ReplyDelete