Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Intubation Sensation (AKA scrait Tubin Cats)




Yesssssssssssssss. Finally I know what it feels like to be a Respiratory Therapist. This morning around 2:30 I got a chance to get my first intubation. I can't believe it took a year and a half. I'm slippin on that one. Anyway so this lady was crashing and the Doc made his way to the head of the bed. I was like so doc how much would i have to pay you to let me get a shot at this one. He looked at me kind of strange and said nothing. Immediately as those words came out of his mouth i felt a nervousness come over me. Finally after all of this time I was going to get a chance to tube someone. But could I? What if i failed? What if Doc was like ok good job Dukes but get out of the way and let me put this tube in before it's too late. That would be really terrible. That would mean that all of the build up, the waiting, the anxious feelings would all come tumbling down on me like lava from an erupting volcano incenrating every hope I had up to this point of proving that i was a strong therapist who wanted to take initiate and show that i was one of the best in the house. So Doc handed me the tube and it was huge. I could feel my hand shaking as i placed the scope in my left hand and proceeded to pry open the jowls of the patient. I could see the chords and of course lurking very close by was that deceptive path leading into the stomach. So i reared back and stuck the tube off in that junt. I got it down to the 23 mark, pulled the stylet and got kirk to check the Co2 detector. He gave 3 to 4 quick breaths with the bag and ahhhhh yeah it looked like i was in there. Straight to the lungs. But WAIT! Doc demanded that we give a few more breaths and sure enough....... I was in the STOMACH! Curses! So i had to pull the tube out. Doc was like don't worry we'll get a smaller tube and go at it again. He began to give me some pointers on my technique. My eyes were locked on his every gesture. I couldn't help thinking about what if. What if i didn't get this. I am screwed. So i waited a couple of seconds and went back at it with the smaller tube. Lifted saw the vocal chords and went right in between. BINGO! Got that trash! 6 hits on the CO2 detector and it was confirmed. High fives all around! and i immediately broke out into the hook of Michael Jacksons "Bad". And the whole world has to answer right now just to tell you once again......(ok so actually that last part didn't happen. Well unless only in my head counts.) I couldn't help but grin as i secured the tube. Finally it happened. I am now oficially known as a therapist who can intubate. It's like I finally get a measure of respect that the strong therapist have. Who'd of thought Uriel Dukes Scrait Tubin Cats. Go figure. Oh for all of you who have no idea what i'm talking about I have included this instructional video:

1 comment:

  1. um, this is a bit much. no? "scrait tubin cats"! nice. this tag line belongs on a mug or something. something.

    ReplyDelete